Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Michael Joseph Savage cont.

Hmmm, I seem to have lost the final couple of sentences. I am not sure what happened there. Here they are:



To give charity to people who wanted to work was unsound as well as humiliating. "The purchasing power of our own people" Savage contended, "must be the basis of our prosperity." Retrenchment could only worsen the Depression because "Unless the people of this country are in a position to pay for what is produced...we cannot go on producing..."



That is simple economics and I understand that, plus I understand the surplus refrigerator which went to other, overseas or foreign markets. (I produced three refrigerators, and I sold two in New Zealand and sent one to Australia and Australia paid me and with that money I bought stuff from Australia I couldn't get here.)

2 comments:

erp said...

I thought I left a comment here yesterday?

erp said...

So glad to hear from you. Looking forward to your completing the history lesson you started last year.