Tuesday, July 31, 2007

New Zealand has no Constitution

I have copied this excerpt from Wikipedia so you can click on highlighted words. (Saves me a lot of time.) All it means is - New Zealand has no Constitution. The Government can create any Act it wants or rescind what it wants. The people of New Zealand have no protection against their own Government.

The constitution of New Zealand consists of a collection of statutes (Acts of Parliament), Treaties, Orders-in-Council, Letters patent, decisions of the Courts and unwritten constitutional conventions. There is no one supreme document — the New Zealand constitution is not codified or entrenched. New Zealand's constitution is thus similar to that of the United Kingdom and Israel.

New Zealand has the Westminster system of Parliament and recognises the monarchy. It has a Governor-General who is the representative of the Queen but this now means nothing. It is a purely ceremonial position which costs the taxpayer a pretty penny.

I am glad we have the Rule of Law. No matter how many crooked wretches bend it, it still seems to spring back and often hits the crooks in the face. Hard. I am glad I was born in a country which inherited the Westminster system, rather than being born in a Muslim or African country. I am glad we have democracy. Even if it isn't the best system it is way ahead of anything else I can see in the world and I am glad I was born white, even if I am left handed and have red hair.

1 comment:

erp said...

Even though NZ like the UK doesn't have a constitution as such, there is a limit to what elected officials can do as they are subject to the next election.

It's only when the people hand over to them power in exchange for "security," that it becomes tyranny.